August 14, 2020 | Fireplaces
Work from Home is Here to StayWorking from home pleases many, reclaiming money and time previously spent on commutes and lunches. Others feel unsettled by the lack of distinction between home and work. Whichever the case, working from home is not fleeting. Whilst the pandemic endures, outcomes remain uncertain and the need to alter lifestyles continues. COVID-19 has enforced the shift to flexible work arrangements that began with an increased demand for work-life balance. [caption id="attachment_3549" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Workers are Adapting to the Reality of Work From Home[/caption]
Shift in Demand for Home OfficesPeople are recognising that these changes will be lasting, and permanent for some workers. Many are upgrading their home office setups by decorating, renovating and adding basement suites or building laneway homes. Condos with extra bedrooms, large balconies or dens are under demand in Vancouver as home office spaces are prioritised. People are reimagining what home means to them, and making use of spaces previously unused. [caption id="attachment_1283" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Reinvent Rooms into Home Offices[/caption]
Reinventing HomeThere are a myriad of approaches to incorporating work into the home. One option is converting bedrooms, basements or sheds to home offices. Another is the clear separation of work zones from relax zones. Adding cozy touches to living spaces can ensure full relaxation when off the clock. You don’t have to ask us twice what the ultimate touch of cozy is! There is no greater sense of comfort than being fireside. When the sun fades and the rain begins, this effect will amplify. Whether it's to build a new suite, upgrade a home office or cozy up a living space, ask us which fireplace will suit yours or your clients’ needs best. [caption id="attachment_5827" align="aligncenter" width="1000"] A Quality Fireplace Could Transform Your Down Time[/caption]
VGF Can HelpWhilst disconcerted by these hard times, people are adapting to their newfound situations by taking control of their residences. With home becoming the main dwelling, the need to ensure it is a place of both function and refuge is vital. We would love to help you strike this balance through our many fireplace options. Tell us about how you or your clients are adapting to work from home via the form or give us a call at 604-732-3470.
June 17, 2020 | Fireplaces
May 24, 2020 | Fireplaces
May 14, 2020 | Fireplaces
April 22, 2020 | Fireplaces
2020 Compliance: Did you know that the wood burning fireplace industry has been doing its best to reduce carbon emissions? Wood stoves are a perfect example.[caption id="attachment_7348" align="alignleft" width="242"] Blaze King Chinook 20 uses catalytic damper for long, efficient burns.[/caption] Most of the products that Vancouver Gas Fireplaces represent today have gone through extensive re-engineering to become 2020 Compliant. [caption id="attachment_7351" align="alignright" width="150"] Popular Worldwide, the Jotul 602 is burning more efficiently than ever![/caption] Stoves must now emit 2 grams or less of particulates per hour, which is good news for our environment and offers such an efficient burn, that you will be using much less wood than older model stoves. [caption id="attachment_7349" align="alignright" width="234"] Pacific Energy Neo 1.6, re-burning wood gases, with colour enamel options.[/caption] Stove models are slowly coming back on line after rigorous re-engineering and re-testing. We are expecting more to be certified, manufactured and released by June of this year and so we are updating our web site as we go along. Some excellent small cabin wood stove products that are 2020 compliant and available now are shown in this blog. If need a new wood burning stove contact us. We can supply the stove and chimney components that you will need. May 15th is the new compliance deadline for wood stoves, but we thought we would celebrate this major industry change today. Happy Earth Day!
April 15, 2020 | Fireplaces
August 29, 2019 | Fireplaces
March 28, 2019 | Fireplaces
February 21, 2019 | Fireplaces
February 7, 2019 | Fireplaces
January 10, 2019 | Fireplaces
November 15, 2018 | Fireplaces
October 18, 2018 | Fireplaces
September 20, 2018 | Fireplaces
August 23, 2018 | Fireplaces
|Valor LX2 2200 The first multi-sided from Valor since the L1 see-thru, the LX2 2200 is available as bay, right corner, or left corner. The unit comes standard with the Valor HeatShift System, and has an optional rough-in kit to help contractors with rough-in framing.|
|Jotul GF 305 A Free standing gas fireplace with a modern design, the 305 features a unique look which could fit in nicely with 1930’s art deco decor, or today’s minimalist look.|
|Blaze King Clarity 26 Adorned with our own custom inset, our showroom Clarity 26 free standing fireplace features a contemporary look, with the capacity to heat up to 1,500 sq.ft, for a lower price point than comparable units.|
|Kennedy Electric The Kennedy series of electric fireplaces feature a bright LED lighting effect, with a crystal media bed. All units come with multiple colour options.|
|FireplaceX ProBuilder 72 The ProBuilder line is available in three sizes, all linear. These fireplaces are great for homeowner’s or contractors wanting the modern linear look, but don’t need some of the frills attached to luxury fireplaces.|
|Marquis Enclave This is a linear multi-sided unit with approximately 48” of fire viewing area. Media options include five styles of driftwood, glass, and river rocks.|
|Stuv B95C Get an up close look at Stuv’s double burner technology when you check out our showroom corner unit. This unit comes with some of the more contemporary log sets available in the fireplace market.|
August 2, 2018 | Fireplaces
- Open door – the least efficient option will allow the full fire viewing experience, including: sight, sound, and smell.
- Glass door – Keep the glass door closed to get a full view of the flames, but keep the flames protected.
- Slow burner – for maximum efficiency, you can fully close the unit and let the fire burn safely over-night.
July 19, 2018 | Fireplaces
- Island The Island style fireplace features 4 sides on unobstructed fire viewing area, making it an excellent focal point of any room. It can be used to separate a formal dining and formal seating area – but still keep your space one harmonious flow. The DaVinci is the only Island style fireplace we currently carry. But with features like power-venting and Cool Touch glass, the DaVinci will be an excellent fireplace for commercial settings and restaurants.
- Peninsula/Pier If you like the look of an Island, but don’t have enough space for foot traffic on both sides, consider a peninsula or pier fireplace. You can enjoy 3 sides of fire viewing, and as an added bonus, have a little extra wall space for shelving or décor.
|Bell Fires Room Divider||Marquis Atrium||DaVinci|
- See-thru Warm two rooms at once with a see-thru fireplace. The more popular rooms families love the see-thru fireplace for are dining room/living room, formal living room/family room, and kitchen/formal dining room.
|Valor L1 2-sided||Bell Fires Derby Tunel|
- Single-sided Of course there’s still always the classic single-sided fireplace. If you are still lacking wall-space, and don’t have the budget for a see-thru, add a single-sided fireplace to one room and use the other side for your much needed shelving, decoration spots, or even a place to hang your TV.
June 28, 2018 | Fireplaces
Getting your Gas Fireplace InspectedPermits and inspections are required when installing any gas appliance. There are 2 types of inspections:
Fireplace Framing InspectionZero clearance fireplaces, installed in new construction and most renovations, need a Framing Inspection. The inspection will occur after the installation and framing of the fireplace, but before any wall board is installed. The inspector will want to be able to see the fireplace, venting, and framing. Types of fireplaces that need a Framing Inspection: Direct Vent Zero Clearance B Vent Zero Clearance
Final InspectionIf you had a gas fireplace inserted into a wood fireplace, you only need the final inspection. Gas stoves will also only need the final because the venting is completely exposed. Types of fireplaces only requiring a Final Inspection: Fireplace Inserts Gas Log Sets Free Standing If you required a Framing Inspection, a Final is required after you have closed your walls and tiled/finished your fireplace. Who Applies for my Permit? When Vancouver Gas Fireplaces books your installation, we will apply for the gas permit which is issued within hours. Our administrative team can schedule your inspections. Or, if you prefer we will provide you with all the information required to book them yourself. Where do you get the Permit from? Either your municipality, or Technical Safety BC. Technical Safety BC has jurisdiction in most municipalities and for all large gas systems, such as condo or townhouse developments. What is required from Me (the Homeowner)? When we book any inspection please arrange for someone to be on site to grant access to the inspector. The installation manual should be with the fireplace so the inspector can reference it. Our sales team will explain what type of inspection you will need. Our administrative team is on top of scheduling inspections, so you don’t need to worry. We think it’s nice to have a guide for homeowner’s. Please call us if you have any additional questions or concerns with getting your fireplace inspected.
May 17, 2018 | Fireplaces
April 26, 2018 | Fireplaces
April 12, 2018 | Fireplaces
- Valor Fireplaces have recently re-introduced the B vent adaptor. Many strata developments built pre 2000 have fireplaces that use B vent, which were not as efficient as they are now, as opposed to the more balanced, or direct vent. This has made options somewhat limited for replacing your fireplace.
- As an added bonus: Condo and townhouse owners are now eligible to receive up to $300 in rebates from FortisBC for a new fireplace.
March 29, 2018 | Fireplaces
March 15, 2018 | Fireplaces
February 22, 2018 | Fireplaces
February 1, 2018 | Fireplaces
- Easier installation
- Great for condos
- Can help set the mood
January 18, 2018 | Fireplaces
November 30, 2017 | Fireplaces
WoodContact Us page for location and showroom hours.
November 16, 2017 | Fireplaces
- Don’t hang anything over the opening. Even on a fireplace with a screen, or glass. This includes: stockings, plastic greenery, and signage.
- Consult your installation manual for clearances. Keep your decorations on, or above the mantel. Not draping over.
- Your Christmas tree should be at least 3 feet away from your fireplace. Further if you have any rambunctious pets or toddlers that live for knocking things over.
- Don’t throw anything other than wood in your wood-burning fireplace. Some of us are lucky not to have had accidents doing this in our childhood. But wrapping paper and cardboard boxes should not be burnt. Pieces could fly out and cause damage. Recycle those materials instead.
November 2, 2017 | Fireplaces
- Less heat loss up the chimney. Gas stoves can be more efficient than a direct vent zero clearance fireplace because the body is exposed, rather than hidden in a wall. With a gas stove, any heat radiating from the body will flow into your home.
- Less construction. Direct vent fireplaces require an open wall with framing and a rough in inspection, you might not want to do that in the winter months. A gas stove does not require any open walls, only access through the roof, or the side wall, which can be made and patched up same day.
- More options for installation. You’re not as limited on where you choose to install a gas stove. Which means you can target high traffic areas of your home.
- Space – if you’re worried about space, gas stoves come in different sizes; our smallest unit will heat up to 950 sq.ft.
- Clearances to combustibles – like any fireplace, you’ll need to be aware of any combustibles near your stove. This includes: furniture, curtains, and carpet – carpeted areas will require a hearthpad.
October 18, 2017 | Fireplaces
September 28, 2017 | Fireplaces
- Bypass damper for easy startup fires and smoke-free reloading
- Easy to use single air control, artfully hidden in the face design
- Perforated air wash for super clean glass
- Unibody construction and heavy gauge steel firebox lined with kiln dried firebrick
September 14, 2017 | Fireplaces
August 31, 2017 | Fireplaces
August 10, 2017 | Fireplaces
|Town & Country TC54||FireplaceX 4237|
July 20, 2017 | Fireplaces
- Provides ambiance Whether you’re planning a romantic night on the patio, or having a themed party, an electric fireplace comes with LED lighting colour options, to help you set the mood.
- Easier installation Electric fireplaces don’t need venting, gas line, or non-combustible framing.
- Power source Your fireplace will need to be located close to a power outlet.
- Weatherproofing You need to protect your electric fireplace from the elements - especially in rainy Vancouver. A stainless steel cover is available for purchase and is required with the warranty.
July 6, 2017 | Fireplaces
June 22, 2017 | Fireplaces
June 8, 2017 | Fireplaces
- Through an existing chimney
- you can have your stove inside, or just in front of an existing masonry fireplace and use the chimney to vent
- Through an existing chimney
- Directly out the exterior wall and up
- you can choose to leave the venting exposed or enclosed
- your wood stove must be close to an outside wall to do this
- Directly out the exterior wall and up
- Straight up from the wood stove and out through the roof
- there are multiple flashings available for all roofing types
- Straight up from the wood stove and out through the roof
Image from ICC-RSFWood stoves need to be vented upwards, with termination extending two feet beyond the roof line. Talk to us to see how we can help you add a wood stove to your home. See our list of wood stoves.
May 25, 2017 | Fireplaces
|Gyrofocus in Norway Norwegian Wild Reindeer Centre Pavilion (Dovrefjell National Park)|
|Gyrofocus in USA Guggenheim Museum, New York (1998)|
|Meijifocus in Wales In a dragon's eye that looks out over the sea|
|Filiofocus in Switzerland view on Leman Lake|
|Agorafocus 630 in Sweden Dreaming near the Baltic Sea|
May 11, 2017 | Fireplaces
- The new policy applies to any property that needs to be re-zoned
- you can replace your current gas or wood fireplace
- you can add a gas fireplace to your new build, as long as it wasn’t re-zoned after May 1st, 2017
- This zoning policy only applies to those living within Vancouver city limits
- New housing developments
- Businesses; restaurants in particular
April 20, 2017 | Fireplaces
March 30, 2017 | Fireplaces
March 16, 2017 | Fireplaces
The Valor Legend G3 comes with a variety of designs options to suit your clients style.We recognize that metro Vancouver has a unique style, so we make sure our products can be versatile and fit in with modern, traditional, and transitional décor.
The FireplaceX 430 with contemporary driftwood log set and traditional brick liner.Sign up to our newsletter to receive news about products and developments in the fireplace industry.
February 16, 2017 | Fireplaces
- Clean contemporary look. Most people enjoy the overall ambience of a wood fire - but Metro Vancouver homes tend to be more on the contemporary side, and an old-fashioned wood stove doesn’t fit in with modern décor.
- Advanced technology for a wood stove. The stove features a combustion air intake from under the unit, which passes through the combustion chamber, and is vented out through the side of the unit. The hot air is circulated through the room by natural convection.
- Multi functional. With the 30 Compacts’ 3 door design, you can choose what function you want from your fire. 1. Leave the door and glass open for a less functional heater, but see and smell the fire. 2. Leave the door open, but glass closed for a more functional heater and see the fire. 3. Or, close the door and the glass for a slow burn, which optimises performance.
February 2, 2017 | Fireplaces
- Unique venting system, their fireplaces aren’t true zero clearance, they require specific clearances. See the manual for details.
- Double burner technology for added depth – turn one burner off and maintain 85% efficiency.
- Safety system allows for possible overpressure to be released in a controlled way.
- The off-centre flue makes it easier to leave the fireplace open – making your room more spacious.
- Remote control with programming that allows you to ‘stoke’ the flames.
January 19, 2017 | Fireplaces
- If you have a brick or tiled surround, go for a complementary colour, to provide a cool contrast, pick a shade opposite your tile/brick (so if your tiles are dark, pick a light colour and vice versa)
- Find colours that you have in your room through furniture and accessories
- Have a great view? Look outdoors for inspiration
Unit pictured: Solara II from MarquisThis bedroom has a lot of neutral colours, and a very beautiful, bold painting. The neutral colours might be the best option for doing the full room, but if you're considering a adventurous colour in a bedroom, it's best to paint one wall as a feature wall. The most common wall for this is behind the headboard.
Unit pictured: Vertical 3 from Bell FiresThis unique fireplace allows for countless design ideas, we decided to highlight the shape with our showroom unit (pictured right) where we painted the wall black, and the ledge salmon - it is quite the colour combination, but we have received nothing but compliments. For best results, we would recommend a neutral colour for the wall, and your bold colour for the inner ledge.
Unit pictured: Horizon from ValorEven though this photo shows only a quarter of the room, you can see there are a lot of colours to choose from. A lot of neutral colours. This is probably a more difficult space to choose paint for, there's a lot going on indoors and out, personally, we think a grey/blue would work best.
Unit pictured: Insert 26 from AmantiiFor this large room, we selected a colour palette from the colours already shown, but because everything is so neutral and clean, the colour palette is so much wider than it appears from our small sample – especially if the one wall above the fireplace is painted to create a feature wall. To make selecting a colour even more difficult: the Amantii Insert 26 is an electric fireplace, which means it features LED lighting with multiple colour options; opening up the colour palette even wider! What would we do? Grey. It's modern, clean, and quite frankly we have never seen a grey wall we didn't like. We feature over 10 different paint colours in our showroom, as well as tile and stone options; this helps our customers get ideas on their dream fireplace. We can even offer finishing services! Contact us today about selecting the right fireplace for you and your home!
January 5, 2017 | Fireplaces
November 25, 2016 | Fireplaces
- No gas fireplaces
- No gas ranges
- No gas barbecues
- No gas furnaces
November 24, 2016 | Fireplaces
November 10, 2016 | Fireplaces
- Replacing a fireplace could net 11% return
- There are many types and sizes of fireplaces to choose from
- An updated fireplace will freshen your space up and make it more attractive to buyers
- you can’t go wrong with a traditional brick liner and log set with a neutral surround
- Some gas fireplace updates qualify for up to $300 rebate from FortisBC
- We offer finishing services so you don’t have to spend too much time finding and hiring a contractor
- Some gas fireplace updates qualify for up to $300 rebate from FortisBC
- Electric fireplaces are a great alternative to the traditional gas fireplace
- heat between 400-500sq.ft
- easier to install
- Ethanol fireplaces don’t require any venting, and are clean burning
October 27, 2016 | Fireplaces
October 13, 2016 | Fireplaces
September 29, 2016 | Fireplaces
- Take the glass out
- Use the cleaner that was given to you along with your fireplace purchase from us
- OR, recommended product: Kel Kem
- Using a soft, warm damp cloth, apply the cleaner to the glass
- To dry your glass, use a soft cotton cloth
- The remote
- The receiver
September 15, 2016 | Fireplaces
August 17, 2016 | Fireplaces
photo compares Tungsten Gas 500 (left) with competitor (right)The above photos are a comparison of Bromic Tungsten Gas 500 with a direct competitor – not only are the Tungsten’s less expensive, but because they have a bigger heating area, less units are required. These heaters aren’t just for commercial setting like restaurants, you can easily install a Bromic heater (most likely electric) on your outdoor patio, deck, or dining area. Great for late night entertaining! The Bromic product line features multiple types and styles of outdoor heaters. You can get a freestanding propane fueled portable heater, or mounted electric heaters – plenty of options to choose from. View the Bromic brochure. Ask us how much you can save with a Bromic product!
August 11, 2016 | Fireplaces
July 27, 2016 | Fireplaces
July 14, 2016 | Fireplaces
- No venting required
- Easiest and cleanest installations
- You can uninstall and take them with you to your next home
June 30, 2016 | Fireplaces
June 16, 2016 | Fireplaces
- Your old one isn’t working like it used to
- You’re concerned with energy costs
- Your home was a recent purchase and the fireplace just isn’t your style
- We make a visit your home to determine how the installation can be done
- We give you a quote on your desired fireplace(s)
- When you pay a deposit, we can schedule an installation date
- After the installation date, we will send an invoice for the balance
May 19, 2016 | Fireplaces
|Stuv B95C Stuv products feature state-of-the-art burner technology, and unique looking media options. This contemporary style fireplace will blend in easily with a modern surrounding.|
|Ambiance Intrigue Direct Vent Zero Clearance traditional fireplace, with a massive 910 sq.in of fire viewing area, and remote controlled accent lights.|
|Enviro E20 Direct vent insert with glass bead media, the Enviro E20 was designed for easy installation – this is a great unit to consider if you’re looking to replace a fireplace on a budget.|
|Valor Legend G3 738J Consistently the best selling Valor fireplace, the showroom G3 features traditional logs, and a traditional look. Available in either B-vent or Direct Vent inserts, the G3 is a versatile unit that can and will look great in any home.|
|Avalon Radiant Plus Small Another small and budget friendly direct vent insert, the Avalon Radiant Plus Small is available in traditional style only.|
|American Fyre Contempo Customers coming into our showroom looking for an outdoor fire pit have stressed that they want something they can put their feet up on to. Well here you go! The Contempo provides ample room for your feet. But please remember safety first!|
|Napoleon Galaxy Equipped with LED lights, the Galaxy provides quite the contemporary look. It’s a showroom favourite!|
|Outdoor Order Curve 10ft heat radius and a safety tilt switch, the Curve is an easily transportable outdoor patio heater. Fueled by a propane take that sits safely at the base.|
|HPC TK (Tiki) Torch Liven up your outdoors with a Tiki Torch! The TK Torch will set the tone for your outdoor party area. Remote control, automatic restart if blown out by wind.|
May 4, 2016 | Fireplaces
- Venting is not universal. Not all fireplaces can be adapted to any venting.
- A new fireplace must almost always be adapted to the venting for the old fireplace. It's usually not possible to replace the existing venting through the building and/or the vent termination on the exterior of the building.
- The size of the venting. We can usually get the sizing if we get the model number of the fireplace from the rating plate which is normally located near the valve.
- Height which the vent goes through the wall. As many of the earlier direct vent fireplaces had a low exit point. As hot air rises, venting cannot slope down.
April 14, 2016 | Fireplaces
- polished surfaces
- bold geometric shapes
(click images for links to manufacturer pages)What makes the above direct vent lines modern fireplaces? Their simplicity and undefined style. You could call them contemporary, but they have a bit of a retro look. They look so clean and classic, they can fit in with any style of space. Which makes them perfect for those wanting to incorporate a modern style to their living area, and are having a rough time finding a truly modern gas fireplace. Contact Vancouver Gas Fireplaces for all your indoor and outdoor heating needs, with over 400 products to choose from, we’ll be sure to help you find the unit to suit your home perfectly.
April 7, 2016 | Fireplaces
|Napoleon Galaxy||Marquis Aurora||EcoSmart Fusion|
|Outdoor Great Room Providence||Outdoor Great Room Naples||Marquis Bola|
|Bromic Gas||Bromic Portable||Bromic Electric|
|Sunglo A270||HPC TK Torch||Travis Tempest Torch|
March 17, 2016 | Fireplaces
|TC36 See-Thru||Bentley See-Thru||L1 See-Thru||B100|
|4415 see-thru||DaVinci Island|
March 10, 2016 | Fireplaces
|Two long burners distributed along the width of the fireplace for a heavy flame presence. Units that feature the double burner are: B95c, B95 3-sided, B100|
|The front burner stretched across the length of the fireplace, with a shorter one behind that produces tall flames for a realistic wood fireplace effect. Units that feature the double burner are: B60, B80, B100H|
March 3, 2016 | Fireplaces
February 25, 2016 | Fireplaces
February 11, 2016 | Fireplaces
January 28, 2016 | Fireplaces